Sunday, November 14, 2010

London

We arrived in London Friday, a little tired, but happy to be in First Class. As they opened the door, they hit the jet bridge with the aircraft door. So, a little delay getting off the plane. Just before I could offer to help, they had adjusted the jet bridge, and we were going.

In London, we stopped off at a pub and had fish and chips (of course!) and a couple of beers. Interested in sampling the local fare, I asked what English brews they had on tap. None!! She suggested a Becks or Heineken. I stayed in the neighborhood and had a Guinness! Theresa had something Italian. The fish and chips were perfect, and really hit the spot! In the evening, we walked around, and went through Harrods (a fancy London department store), and bought a few minor things. I checked out the Aston Martin in the window, but did not ask about the price. It was chilly and cloudy and drizzling most of the day. Quite what we expected for London!

Saturday, we went to the Westminster Abbey, and took the tour. It was amazing seeing so much history, over 1000 years of English history, kings and queens, and other famous dead people. The church part was incredible, and they were preparing for "Evensong" (their evening prayer service), so we heard the choir warming up. Theresa enjoyed it. Being tone deaf, I was less impressed. Then we walked over the London Bridge (no, it did not fall down, though I suggested singing it). We had a nice walk along the Thames to the Tower Bridge, and walked across that, admiring the view, and the London Tower along the way.

Sunday, about all we did was get up, go to breakfast, and head to Heathrow. We flew to Rome on British Airways (confirmed space, actually!), and arrived here about 5 or so in the evening. This is the first computer we have been able to get onto (sort of) since leaving the States, so the first time to update the blog. Who knows when the next time will be?

International keyboards are such fun! The key layout is slightly different, but moreover, the markings do not correspond to the output! Where it shows an apostrophe, I get à. The at symbol (to sign on with our email address) is °. So, pardon some of the typos and lack of punctuation!§ì£

Tomorrow, we board the cruise ship, and depart at 6PM (or 11AM Central). So,. tonight will be low key, and back to the executive lounge (thankàs to Theresaàs Diamond level at Hilton), where they have finger foods, drinks, desserts, et cetera. Wine, champaigne, beer, soda, and other aperatifs! Hopefully we can update this en route a few times!

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading!

    *facepalm* to hitting the jetbridge

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete