Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Nassau, Bahamas 28-NOV

After 7 long days (and 8 nights) at sea, we finally reached our last port of call, the Bahamas.  Incidentally, Theresa and I went to the Bahamas for our honeymoon (on a MUCH lower budget trip), and happened back on another cruise many years later (and ago).  Of the three visits, this was the only one that we "liked".

So, there was not a whole lot we needed to see, so we just took a little walk in the nearby area.  Along the way, we found the Hilton, which was interesting in that it had a US, a Canadian, and a British flag out front, but no Bahamian.  Considering how many vacations have involved a stay at a Hilton, I thought it a regular in our trips!

We found the US Embassy (which we looked for the last time there, but never found), and thought we would take a picture of "home".  Turns out, that is NOT OK, and we were rebuked by some guard that seemed to come out of nowhere!

We wandered back and found some souvenirs and post cards, then decided we should have a local beer.  We ultimately came across a little dive of a store, but the beer was cold, and reasonably priced, so we bought two, a dark one for me, and a light one for T.  We found a Bacardi outlet store, and stopped in to see what was there.  Lo, and behold, I found a bottle of Aberfeldy Scotch.  Now, I can't say how good Aberfeldy single malt Scotch is, but on our first ever "big trip", Theresa and I went to Scotland with my parents.  It was March of 1997, and the first time to Europe for all but Theresa.  We traded our timeshare for a unit in Aberfeldy, Scotland, which is about between Glasgow, Edinburgh, and 1/3 the up to Inverness.  I had never seen it (the Scotch) here in the States, so I thought I'd grab it.  (Once we got back, I did look at two of the nearby liquor stores, and both had it, but for more than I paid.  So... still calling it a win!)  That was enough, and we headed back to the ship for our last boarding.

From our room, we watched them pull in the ropes and get ready to leave the dock.  It was kind of interesting for the first few minutes.  It was also the first time we saw anyone at another balcony, so we waved hello. 

We rode off into the sunset for the last time.  After dark, we began to notice other cruise ships passing or being passed, which seemed significant, since we had seen almost none during the crossing. 

Next Stop:  Miami and Home!


No comments:

Post a Comment