Ok, first world problems, we know. We got off to a few bumps, but nothing that
will draw sympathy. It surprised us what
a mess DFW was, but we finally got through it and into the Lounge for a drink
and snack before heading to the gate. Once
on board, we began our first encounter with AA’s newest premium class (Business)
known internally as “Super Diamond”. In
short, each seat lays fully flat, has a big monitor (video) and has aisle
access. But, the only way to sit “together”
is in the middle two (the outer two have windows). It’s sort of strange not being able to see
outside. Anyway, never having seen these
new seats, I fumbled around trying to get the tray table pulled out, and
managed to pop up a side table launching my predeparture Champaign over the
middle and all over Theresa’s area. No
one was happy. We mopped it up from
various places (it went everywhere!), and I sat grumpy for a few minutes. But, must move on.
Thanks to Theresa’s work, requiring a lot of travel and
giving us a lot of miles, we have and used miles to get Business Class
confirmed all the way on this trip. So,
all of the finger crossing and wondering was allayed. Anyway, Theresa selected our meals about 30
days ago, so she knew (perhaps I knew, but I didn’t KNOW I knew) what meals we
were having. There were 201 movies to
select from, but Theresa knew immediately what was first…”The Secret Lives of
Pets”. It was really cute and funny. As the movie started, my grilled beef fillet,
bleu cheese potatoes au gratin, spinach and mushrooms was served, as was
Theresa’s Bibimbap (a Korean meat, vegetable, and rice dish). After the movie, Theresa closed her eyes for
a bit of a snooze.
When she woke up, we got some snacks (they set up a snack
bar in the Business Class galley (don’t hate us!)) and started Star Trek Beyond*. After which…well, short snooze. That got us 5.5 hours into our 14 hour, 7200
mile trip!!
*Something seemed fitting about watching Star Trek as they
whooshed off across space, while we sat on an airplane whooshing across…well, atmosphere,
I guess. It seemed connected to me!
We started our third movie, Suicide Squad, as they brought
around sandwiches. Then another short
nap. When we were preparing for our
fourth movie, I lobbied for one that began with an S, as I had a nice long
sentence mostly picked out. But, we
watched Independence Day. (Star Trek was
more realistic!) They served an omelet
or soup.
| Hard to see the countries without borders! |
I had to laugh at the Inflight Map, as we clearly went out
of our way (to avoid North Korea). In
one view, I saw Incheon (Seoul)(S Korea), Pyongyang (N Korea), Vladivostok
(Russia), and Beijing (China). It struck
me how many hostile relations are and have been between these four countries
and the US.
| Going a LITTLE out of our way!! |
Finally, 14 hours of flying, and we landed. After meandering over to the Cathay Business
Class lounge (and waiting until it opened 15 minutes later), we set up for the
3+ hours. They had so many good looking
food options, which was taunting since we can hardly consider ourselves
hungry! But I tried the OB (Korean Beer)
and Hwayo 53, a “traditional Korean distilled beverage” (according to the
sign). Then, we split a plate of Dim Sum.
Next stop – Hong Kong and a bed to sleep in!
Took us a while to figure out whee you're going! Sounds great! We just got back today from Orlando and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
ReplyDeleteWe better have not taken a 777 delay due to a wet seat cushion!!! PAX damage? DA4? Safe travels! It's 17F here this morning.
ReplyDeleteYou'll be the first to know! :-)
Delete