Thursday night, we had the Military band performances in Red Square, at 8PM. We planned to go to a Ukranian restaurant which Theresa found on line back home. Coincidently, we found one of their locations (kind of a chain, I guess) a day or two earlier. We got there fairly early, because we wanted to be done by 6-6:30 so we'd have enough time to get to Red Square. We walked in, and they greeted us, confirmed two, and asked if we wanted smoking or non-smoking. Non-smoking, of course! She pointed to a small door, which looked almost too small to be a coat closet door, and opened it revealing narrow, steep stairs down! I guess we dine in the cellar? (or the dungeon!)
Downstairs, there was a quaint little area with a few small tables. They gave us the menus and we started perusing. We didn't really recognize this off bat, but the Russian menus are sort of a la carte, so you assemble the meal. Well, we chose appetizers, and entrees, but didn't think to get sides. Theresa got the Chicken Kiev and Bill got beef liver in a sour cream sauce (it was awesome!). After we received our entrees, we decided some potatoes or something would really go well, so flagged the waitress (at length). She spoke no English, and we spoke no Russian (what could go wrong?), so I looked in our phrase book for "I would like..." and "potato" (and pointed to it to be sure she understood). She said someting which must have been "What kind of potatoes?" or "How would you like them?" Being ready for just such an event, I pointed to the line that said "What is your specialty?" She made a face, so I pointed to "What do you recommend?" She rattled off several options (I suspect?), to which I responded with a blank and unknowning look and simply said, "Da." She looked at me and said something (perhaps "Well, which?"), and I nodded my head and said, "Da!" I'm not sure if she was exasperated or amused, as she sort of smirked and shook her head, and spun around. Some minutes later we got perhaps the best mashed potatoes I've ever had!! (Sorry, Mom!) For dessert, we had a Tort Kiev (some sort of cake), which, though it tasted ok, had the texture of that green brittle foam that they stick fake flowers in, with a butter creme frosting.

We had decent seats, though a bit to the side. It didn't hurt the viewing too much, but we tried to take some video, and it really didn't work. The camera had so much trouble focusing on either the people right in front of us, or the camera boom between us and the field, the video just didn't work out.

And there were "cheerleaders" who stood in front, waved little Russian Flags, and I guess tried to pump us up. Some were cheerier than others! "Ours was the happy one! Great outfits!! :-)
Regardless, it was surreal sitting in Red Square, facing the Kremlin, watching Military exhibitions, and thinking how UNWELCOME we would have been just 20 years ago! The show included a performance by Finland, Italy, Israel, France, Great Britain, India, Kazakstan, China, and several from Russia. (See flags with St. Basil's)
As we headed out, we were treated with a spectacular view of the GUM (goom), a large mall along the side of the square, lit up with a thousand lights!
Downstairs, there was a quaint little area with a few small tables. They gave us the menus and we started perusing. We didn't really recognize this off bat, but the Russian menus are sort of a la carte, so you assemble the meal. Well, we chose appetizers, and entrees, but didn't think to get sides. Theresa got the Chicken Kiev and Bill got beef liver in a sour cream sauce (it was awesome!). After we received our entrees, we decided some potatoes or something would really go well, so flagged the waitress (at length). She spoke no English, and we spoke no Russian (what could go wrong?), so I looked in our phrase book for "I would like..." and "potato" (and pointed to it to be sure she understood). She said someting which must have been "What kind of potatoes?" or "How would you like them?" Being ready for just such an event, I pointed to the line that said "What is your specialty?" She made a face, so I pointed to "What do you recommend?" She rattled off several options (I suspect?), to which I responded with a blank and unknowning look and simply said, "Da." She looked at me and said something (perhaps "Well, which?"), and I nodded my head and said, "Da!" I'm not sure if she was exasperated or amused, as she sort of smirked and shook her head, and spun around. Some minutes later we got perhaps the best mashed potatoes I've ever had!! (Sorry, Mom!) For dessert, we had a Tort Kiev (some sort of cake), which, though it tasted ok, had the texture of that green brittle foam that they stick fake flowers in, with a butter creme frosting.After a fantastic dinner, we asked for the check. It was less than half as much as the Georgian restaurant for lunch the previous day, and more than twice as good!! I gave her my credit card, and off she went. When she came back, she pointed where to sign (Why do they do that? I may not speak the language, but I am smart enough to find a line at the bottom of a Credit Card print out!), and gave me a pen. I signed, and gave it back to her. She took the card and the receipt and left. After several minutes (we were anxious to go as it was getting late) she came back looking perturbed. She snapped the credit card on the table, and pointed to the back (where one might sign, but where I had put "See I.D." to prevent fraud), and then pointed to my signature. As I pulled out my passport to show my ID, she puts a new printout down, points to the "See ID" and then to the blank line with a very stern look. So...I signed the receipt "See I.D." and she briskly marched off!! We sat laughing in disbelief.
Anyway, so we hopped the Metro, headed to Red Square, hopped off, and emerged somewhere unfamiliar. I found a uniformed man (Police? Militia? KGB?) and did my best Russian "Where is Red Square?" (Gdye Krasnaya Plashad?) Now, I know my pronunciation is not fabulous, but he did not understand at all, so I tried to repeat slowly and clearly. He interrupted and started listing things, one of which I recognized as "Ingleesky" to which I lit up and said, "Yes! Ingleesky! I speak English!" Turns out he is French, and with the French military unit who would be performing soon! He gave very good directions in "Ingleesky" and we said "Merci Beaucoup" and wished him "Bon Chance!"

We had decent seats, though a bit to the side. It didn't hurt the viewing too much, but we tried to take some video, and it really didn't work. The camera had so much trouble focusing on either the people right in front of us, or the camera boom between us and the field, the video just didn't work out. 
And there were "cheerleaders" who stood in front, waved little Russian Flags, and I guess tried to pump us up. Some were cheerier than others! "Ours was the happy one! Great outfits!! :-)
Regardless, it was surreal sitting in Red Square, facing the Kremlin, watching Military exhibitions, and thinking how UNWELCOME we would have been just 20 years ago! The show included a performance by Finland, Italy, Israel, France, Great Britain, India, Kazakstan, China, and several from Russia. (See flags with St. Basil's) The Finns had ladies dancing for part of their show. The Brits played a tune we recognized as "God
Bless America" (probably a
different set of words for them!) and the Italians played The Lone Ranger (I know, it is really something else, but). The Chinese were the most dramatic, with acrobatics, trampolines, huge drums, etc. The Kazakstanis were the most militant with rigid movements, and a lot of gun play (and big hats!).
Bless America" (probably a
different set of words for them!) and the Italians played The Lone Ranger (I know, it is really something else, but). The Chinese were the most dramatic, with acrobatics, trampolines, huge drums, etc. The Kazakstanis were the most militant with rigid movements, and a lot of gun play (and big hats!). One of the Russian troups did their performance on horseback, and as near as we could tell, they were all female.
The show culminated with bringing every group into the square, and they all played "Hey Jude". That was weird!! Then they had fireworks. Again, sort of weird to be
an American watching fireworks in Red Square.
Obviously, it is not the intent of all fireworks, but at least for me, fireworks sort of symbolize July 4th, American Freedom, and such. I'm not sure if that made these ironic or curious. Either way, it was something we will not forget!!
an American watching fireworks in Red Square.
Obviously, it is not the intent of all fireworks, but at least for me, fireworks sort of symbolize July 4th, American Freedom, and such. I'm not sure if that made these ironic or curious. Either way, it was something we will not forget!!
As we headed out, we were treated with a spectacular view of the GUM (goom), a large mall along the side of the square, lit up with a thousand lights!
And we left happy!!
Not sure if the videos will work or not, and having trouble getting them loaded, but we'll try. If you can watch, it is about a minute.



No comments:
Post a Comment