

Our itinerary today was basically New Maiden Convent and Cemetery (shown here), lunch, Museum of Cosmonauts, and finishing up our Metro tour (which I believe Bill is going to post as a grouping a little later)[I think officially, we might not be supposed to take pictures. So, there will be no evidence provided that any such activity occurred while I am still here. On a totally separate note, be sure to check out our blog a few days after we get home for more pix that for whatever reason could not be posted at this time.]. Bill's talking to a young lady right now that is from Siberia, but lives in Atlanta now.[She was talking to me, I was just politely listening! And she's not THAT young, she is probably in her 30's.] So, I'll start the blog, knowing that Bill will add much more detail in a bit.
We seem to keep having slow mornings, which is OK, I guess, as we are on vacation. We left about 10am for the Novodevichy (New Maiden) Convent. They had some nice displays of Russian Orthodox icons and items from services. It really surprised us how similar the background of their and our religion is. Bill got some nice pictures, as it was 150 rubles for our entry and 200 rubles for the camera. We also saw their main cathedral with the gorgeous paintings from wall to ceiling.[Pix will never do it justice, but we'll attach some to at least hint at what is there! These Icons are painted on wood, about an inch thick. The following are of the main church in the center of the Convent.]

Column with iconic paintings, and Icons on the wall forward of the altar.

Looking straight up into one of the 5 domes, and the vestibule just inside the front doors, but not quite in the church.Then we walked to the cemetery. [Pix to follow. The camera has eaten both batteries, and I can't upload any more.] Very interesting headstones there, including the one of Nikita Khrushchev, which was designed by a sculptor whom Khrushchev insulted during life...go figure on that one! [The black and white marble is supposed to symbolize the controversy of his tenure at the helm of the Soviet Union.] [One thing I really liked about this graveyard (words one just does not utter often enough) was that the head stones typically had an etching that showed the likeness of the person, or some detail that was important about the life (like planes if it was a pilot, or "Academia", or just a picture. One has the profile of the man with a cigarette in his mouth. I'm speechless... Ok, not speechless, just too many comments to choose just one! Anyway, the effect was that, rather than a faceless name, and knowing nothing about that person, we could actually know some thing about the person buried at that spot, something more significant than name, date of birth, and date of death.]
After the cemetery, we went for lunch at the Georgian restaurant our guide from last night suggested [no, not grits and peaches, the OTHER Georgia!]. They had a menu in both English and Russian, and we ordered by pointing at what we wanted [We?? I spoke the words, and I got what I wanted...Are we back to the grunting thing from yesterday?? Hmmm]. I managed to get my Sweet Peppers stuffed with walnuts (yummy), but instead of my pork with mushrooms and rice, I ended up with lamb chops...not a favorite of mine, but I ate them, as I didn't want to cause a scene.[I tried to tell her they were not ba-a-a-ad, and said "Don't be sheepish, 'ewe' will like them", and even told that my lamb was (with mouth full now...) "wooly wooly good!!" I guess she thought I was "ramming" the point home too much, so I "sheared" the topic.] Bill also had lamb (kebobs) and graciously shared some of his potatoes so I had some substance with lunch. [The potatoes were like french fries, and sitting in a bubbling pool of grease/oil. Mmmmm!!! Actually, they were very tasty, at least the ones not saturated.]
As the time was now about 3pm, we decided on the Cosmonaut museum.[It was out of this world!] There was absolutely nothing in English, but we could make out a lot of what was there, including a space shuttle that the Russians had attempted to operate.[They did have a nice DVD/video available in English and Russian, but it wasn't playing. The helpful lady came over and offered to start it (or offered something, I don't know?) and I nodded yes. So, she fumbled around and started the video...in Russian!! Uh, thanks!]
Finishing about 5pm, we decided to hit the last a5 stops on our metro tour, finishing with the Revolution Square, which has bronze statues, including several with a dog that people believe in rubbing his nose for good luck. We saw several people do it, and gave it a try ourselves.[Bill got bit. Not sure why??][Actually, it is the patinaed bronze statues, where the places touched are shiny brass colored, and the rest is black. Recognizing this, I then noted the "adult statues" were untouched; only the animals were shiny (dogs noses, and a rooster's side) and the foot of a baby being held by the mother. I think it may be deeper than "luck", but perhaps a yearning to go back to innocence, or a frank distrust in the Soviet realm?]
Tonight, relaxation and bed early...tomorrow, Monino Air Force museum. Can't tell you how I'm looking forward to that![Pix to follow after we get home. I know not everyhone will be as excited to see these as I am, so I'll share more upon request to those people (like at work!)] Happy 09/09/09 everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment