Sunday, October 9, 2016

Day 0--Calgary!

Good thing we bought our tickets to Calgary.  The last flight on Saturday was canceled, so this morning’s flight was oversold!  But, we had seats.  We arrived in Calgary about 2PM, and were treated to a landscape flecked with snow, and dusting on rooftops.  We started our 3rd passports, and got the first stamps, which we think is neat.
Our friends Ce and Charles picked us up at the airport and we found a place to grab a quick lunch…of Ramen Noodles.  (Authentic, not the 20 cent packages from college!)  After soup and beer, we headed off to the Skyline Luge, which is the longest luge course in the world!!  
Olympic Park, Calgary

It is the site of several Olympic venues from when the Winter Olympics were in Calgary (1988), including the bobsled track, ski jump(s), and the luge.  
Ski Jump!

For about $20 (Canadian), you get to go down the track three times.  Mind you, this is not the luge you might see on TV, but more like a gravity go-cart.  It has a single bar that you pull to the middle to go, back to stop, and all the way forward is sort of like park.  It is “suitable” for adults and children (at least 110 cm tall)(about 43 inches), so to say we “fit” is charitable!  (Imagine me on, say, a tricycle.)  But it was REALLY fun!!  I think I heard somewhere you can get up to 20 mph, which is bracing in the 36°F.  I was quite happy to pass our friends and careen down the slope like a madman!  (Yes, I was on two wheels and almost dumped it more than once, but no, I never actually lost control!)

Weeeeee!


Theresa and the track.

The track (from the ski lift we took to the top of the course).

After we were sufficiently frozen and happy, we “let it go”. :-)  (I’d apologize, but I’m not sorry!)  We got on the road to our “chalet” in Canmore, Alberta.  The drive had enjoyable views, which were picturesque, but not photographic.  I’m sure a skilled photographer could do wonders, but sitting in the back of a car on a highway with no safe place to pull over, all I’d manage is a menagerie of grey and white.  Anyway, we had stopped at a grocery store before leaving Calgary, so upon arriving in our chalet, we decided to raid the breakfast provisions and make Gouda cheese omelets and sausage for dinner.  Today was long, but tomorrow will be busy. So, we made an early night!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving Day in Canada. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete