For Theresa's Birthday, I got her a Solar Eclipse!!
 |
| 3 AM |
2:45AM is rather early, but we woke up pretty much right
away, and got up and dressed. We were up
top (Deck 9) by 3:15, while the deck was fairly open. A few folks were setting up their tripods,
which was kind of funny. Nothing like a
stable mount on an unstable platform! In
addition to being very overcast, there was a bit of fog, so you could not even
see the horizon. We scoped things out,
and then went back down to the Pool Deck (8) for some coffee and shelter. As people started accumulating, we headed
back to 9 about 3:55. Bill set up the
camera to take a little video and a series of pix, but the fog grew
thicker. For me, it was funny. I mean, what am I going to do? Get mad?
But I know for many people who are on this cruise primarily for the
eclipse, I could see them not taking it very well. We didn’t know there was such a thing as “Eclipse
Chasers”, but there are at least two tour groups here comprised of them, making
up some 20+ people. And there was some
serious camera equipment. The family of
three we met in the hotel had huge zoom lenses and paraphernalia. We ran into them and they were laughing it
off.
 |
| A few folks getting set up. Good Luck!! |
So, the eclipse itself…it got pretty dark, and then it got
light again.
It was more dramatic than a
cloud passing over, more like going from a hazy overcast to 30 minutes after
twilight, then back to overcast.
It did
all of this in about 5 minutes.
Some people brought their champagne with them to open it and
celebrate. We went back to our room, and
Theresa laid back down. Bill opened a
beer (and finished his coffee). It looks
like mid-morning out there, so I figured I’d do a little blog work and see if
we can get the satellite!
 |
| Before the Eclipse.,, |
 |
During the Eclipse... (it was actually much darker than this seems) |
 |
| After the Eclipse! |
even with the cloud cover, still pretty cool!
ReplyDelete