Getting out of the garage was the first obstacle. There was a closed door, that we missed the first time around the garage, but figured it out the second. Then, it took a few shifts to get back into the hang of a standard transmission (it's been years since I've driven one!). We got on the road, and made it to the freeway. After a few minutes, I remarked that it looked pretty much like any freeway in any country, except the signage. Just past Hameenlinna, a little more than halfway to Tampere, we stopped at a tiny town named Iittala, where a small glass blowing company is. We first checked out the shop, and were dismayed by the prices. The glass was nice, but not nearly as nice as they thought! Oh well. The clearance section was less steep. Then we planned to take the "factory tour". We had a few minutes, so got a cup of coffee and a Danish (the closest to it's namesake home we've ever enjoyed one!) and enjoyed a respite. We headed over for the tour, which turned into a "private" tour, as it was just the tour of us plus the guide. We walked into the factory, up to an overlook, and looked down on the "operation". Yup. That's exciting. So, after five minutes, we had overstayed, and were ready to head to the next excitement of the day.
On to Tampere. Not sure how much time we would have, we sorted our interests back home, and judged we only had time for the glass place and a musuem about Lenin in Tampere. Initially, I thought it really odd that there would be a museum for Lenin here, but now it sort of makes sense. During the multiple revolutionary attempts, and the revolution itself, he spent a lot of time in Finland, and a lot in Tampere. He was also instrumental in fighting for Finland's independence from Russia, and as soon as he took power with the prolitariate, he was true to his word giving them independence. For me, the museum was a selection of mental morsels to feed my interest and learn more about the history that shaped the last century. To Theresa, it was not anything more than could have been provided on-line, saving parking and driving. So, if you are a true history buff, and like to know what happened in this part of the world (and can read a smidge of Russian), by all means, come and see. If not, go elsewhere. You will NOT enjoy.
Anyway, so we checked in to our hotel and set out to find food. Finding nothing immediately, we went back to check TripAdvisor (Theresa's near favorite site!) to seek what was near and good. That was a GREAT idea! We found this little place, nestled among apartment buildings, and next to a soccer field. The server wasn't very good with English (hardly something to complain about!), so he handed us off to another waiter. Theresa got what amounted to pork schnitzel, with french fries. It was huge, about 70 square inches, and good, but rather salty, especially by the end.
When the food came, they brought Theresa's meal, and set a large empty plate in front of me. Uh, not what I ordered! But, then they brought me a skillet full of food! So, I got the liver, which came in a creamy sauce, with mushroom and ham. Because, what goes better with meat, than ham strip laden gravy? Why, lingonberry jam! That's what!! So, liver (which was itself delicious!) covered with a creamy brown gravy, full of ham and mushrooms, and dolloped with lingonberry jam. It was palate confusion. But, I loved it. I washed it down with "yksi olut" (ooksi awlet). I guess if I only know how to say "one beer", I forgoe my choice of which one or what size. But, if you do not specify what size, it seems you get "iso" or large. No complaints! :-) We could not finish everything, though not for lack of trying. I nearly finished mine (certainly no beer went to waste!), and tried to help Theresa. But, in the end we waddled home full and defeated. So, tomorrow, we head to Turku!
What is "snitzel" doing in Helsinki? Looks like you are having fun...stay safe.
ReplyDeleteBeing eaten, of course!
ReplyDelete