Today, we went to Turku, which is at the southwestern edge of Finland. We had a nice drive from Tampere, although on a much smaller road than the freeway we took to Tampere from Helsinki. We saw a lot of moose crossing signs, and Theresa saw a picture of a camera, and thought it might be a photographic spot. I noticed the "Poliisi" at the bottom of the sign, and judged they would be taking pictures of us! A few minutes later, we saw a flash several hundred yards ahead of us, and then saw the camera machine when we got up to it. Thankfully, we had slowed to the speed limit. We saw lots of the cameras the whole way, which kept us under 80kph (50 mph) much of the way. But, it was a nice drive.
Along the way, we worked on a bit of our Finnish. I can tell you, most of the Finnish I know I learned from the Muppets Swedish Chef!! Please is "olta hoova", which rolls off the tongue when said in the Swedish Chef accent!! It was quite fun. I can now count to 10, but you probably don't want to know how I remember some of the numbers! :-) For the drive to Helsinki tomorrow, we'll have to take on some other part of the language.
The adventure of driving continued. On the way to the church, we got a little lost. But, with a 300 foot tower, it wasn't too hard to find. On the way to the hotel, traffic was insane! We noticed the left lane turned left, and needed to go straight, so got in the right lane. Sitting there behind a bus, there was a rap on the window. Next to me, between the lanes of traffic was a police officer on a motorcycle, scowling at me. Apparently, I wasn't to be in that lane either! Buses and Taxis only. I should have told him I was Theresa's taxi driver! Well, the light turns, and no one in the left lane was going to let me in, and I could not get over because he was next to me, so I ended up in that lane for another light cycle. Oh well.
All over the city, we saw young people (high school age?) in large groups with these wild pants!! They looked like NASCAR with patches and things all over brightly colored fabric. Groups seemed to have matching pants, although not identical. We guess there was some function, but couldn't figure it out. Then, near our restaurant, there was a line half a block long to get into this night club. It was 6:00!! I can't imagine what was going on in that club, or when it opened, but 6 seems early to be standing in line already. I know. I know. I'm just not "cool". I'm good with that!
Theresa has the right idea about sharing...go Theresa!
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures!
ReplyDelete