Monday, May 23, 2011

To Nordkapp Part II

The next morning, I set out again—this time alone, because Theresa was not interested in going back. There was no wind, and it wasn’t snowing, so there wasn’t the white out conditions. So, the 31 km trip took barely 45 minutes.  




Monument from King Oscar II



Globe Sculpture (71° 10' 21")
             








King Oscar's Monument from Globe side















I got there, and on paying the entrance fee, was told the facility did not open for two and a half hours. Well, I took a walk around and looked at what I could from the outside. The whole place was on these high bluffs, overlooking the Barents Sea. There was a monument erected by King Oscar II, in July of 1873 to mark the outermost point of the North. There was also a globe sculpture denoting the location of 71° 10' 21".


It was COLD (-3° C)!! The wind was strong, and never let up. After 10 minutes of shivering around, taking a few pictures; and not in a position to wait another 2+ hours for the store to open, I left. But, I have now been above 71° North, and below 66° South (on our Antarctica trip). A really disappointing part was that I sent a postcard to our Goddaughter from the Southernmost Post Office in the world, and this was the Northernmost Post Office in the world. But, I wasn't able to send her one from there. I hope she'll forgive me? :-)


Any warning sign that includes "mangler" should be heeded!
(turns out it means "guardrail missing"--is that better?)






Ice on road, blown by wind



No missing guardrail here!







Reindeer and rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment