On the way off the elevator to breakfast, we saw another
couple getting on, and asked “How was breakfast?” The reply was, “Oh, you won’t like it! There wasn’t much breakfast food!” We thought that was a little odd, but when we
got there, we found a rather decent selection of both Chinese and Western
breakfast options. There have been a
fair number of complaints about the food on this trip, some justified, and some
not at all!!
.jpg) |
| Ship carved from a single jade stone. (about 5 feet long) |
Our first “destination” was the Great Wall. But, on the way, we stopped off at a Jade
“factory”. Well, these “factory” stores
are a bit of a misnomer. Really, they
are a store that sells products probably direct from a factory, and they put a
little show about how things were done traditionally, but not necessarily are
done currently. So, they showed us a few
things, and then turned us loose on the store.
And turned the store sales personnel loose on us! One interesting point was that all of the
medals in the 2008 Olympics had jade set into the medal. Also, jade is “translucent”. That sort of depends on how thick it is, but
if thin enough, many things are translucent.
 |
| Just before we start the climb |
We continued on to the Great Wall, at the Juyong Pass
(Juyongguan). Badaling is the most
frequented location for tour groups, and is overcrowded and over commercialized
(like an amusement park)! We were happy
that they brought us to another location!
 |
| View from the first guard tower |
 |
| One of MANY sets of "stairs". |
We started to ascend to the first Beacon Tower (#8). The stairs were merciless. They were steep, worn, uneven, and not
constant! Two steps were 15-18 inches high,
then one was 3 or 4. Then a few at 6
inches, and one at 9, and another at 12.
There was no way to get any rhythm. By the first landing, Theresa was questioning whether she should continue. By the second landing, it was decision
time. So, I left Theresa at the landing,
and headed up the path on my own. By the
time I reached Tower 8, I was sure Theresa would not have enjoyed it, and I
also discovered the next tower beyond it!
There was a little shopping area there, and I figured it should have
been a declining price as we went up, but they had other notions! Up and up I continued until it was time to
come back. It might not have ended until
I reached Mongolia or so. As I headed
back down, I did not enjoy much of the view, because I had to constantly watch
my steps, since they were so uneven and dangerous. I cannot imagine the people that empty the
trash, or had to patrol the wall, and even those who had to build it! I cannot imagine carrying heavy loads all the
way up there to lay the few bricks, and have to go back down for more! It took me about 20 minutes to get back down.
 |
| The second "leg" from Guard Tower #8 to #9 |
 |
| Steps inside tower...a little worn! |
 |
| Closer to the top than the bottom! |
 |
| Restroom to the left...not 5 star! |
 |
| Near the top for me...See the parking lot to the left? |
After the Wall, we were taken to a place that makes
enamelware. It was mildly interesting,
but overcrowded. So, after the minimum
tour, they took us upstairs for lunch.
It was another, what is becoming “typical”, “lazy susan” style
lunch. They bring a large selection of
different things, but not a particularly large amount of them. Regardless, there was ample food, and most of
it pretty good. The problem with the
“lazy susan” is that, suppose you have 10 people around the table, and ten
dishes, one in front of each of them.
What are the chances someone does not like what is in front of them? What is the chance someone is taking what is
in front of them? At any given moment,
there is almost always someone who wants the wheel to turn, and someone who
does not. So, it is a scramble to get
food while it is there (or while it passes) and to get to the food you want, on
the other side of the table! Oh, and they
do not give you anything to serve it with, so you use your chop sticks, or a
fork if you get a hold of one. And of
ten people, chances are at least one person is at least partially
inconsiderate. But, it seems to be how
they do it here, at least with tourist groups!
.jpg)
After lunch, we boarded the bus and headed to the Summer
Palace. This is the place where the
Emperors would spend summers. The whole
place was destroyed in 1899, so the Empress Cixi decided to rebuild it with the
30 million silver (talents?) that was earmarked for building the Chinese
navy. Then it was destroyed again and
rebuilt in (I think) 1906. Our guide was mute on
why or how it was destroyed, but given the immense size of the place, and
numerous spread out buildings, I can’t see that its annihilation was anything
but intended.
.jpg) |
| The Lake at the Summer Palace |
Cixi was one of the Emperor’s favorite concubines, and bore
him a son. So, after the Emperor died,
she took control as their son was only 2 years old. The Emperor is represented by the dragon, and
the Empress is represented by the Peacock.
But, since Cixi served as the Emperor, she was referred to as the “Dragon
Lady”.
The summer palace has a lake in the middle, and she liked to
walk and look at the lake. But, when it
was raining, she didn’t like to get wet, so she had them build a covered
walkway almost a mile long. The entire
length was adorned with paintings, on the pillars, the lintels, and the
ceilings. As she went along throughout life,
if she saw a scene she liked, as she did not have a camera, she simply had
someone paint that very scene for her, so she could keep the “picture”.
 |
| Part of the walkway |
 |
| Paintings on the walkway |
 |
| Between walkway and lake |
 |
| Temple at Summer Palace |
 |
| One of the gates. Note the sky/pollution. |
 |
| Dinner!! |
The rest of the evening was “on our own”. We were dropped at the hotel, and given some
options for where we might go for dinner (at our own expense). There was a Sichuan (?) place very nearby,
and our guide recommended it (along with a few other options, not just the
hotel restaurant). So, we made plans to
go there with our friends. As we got
ready to go, a few other couples joined us, and we ended up with table of ten
people (just like most of the provided dinners). But, this time, we chose our own meals, and
drinks. Instead of a small 4 oz glass of
beer, we got the whole 500 mL bottle for 20 yuan, or about $3. Actually, it was a fun group, and we had some
great laughs!
.jpg) |
| What I did NOT finish of my dinner! |
I ordered a “Hot Stone Skillet Beef”, which looked good and
I figured was spicy. Well, when I
ordered it, the waitress told me it was very spicy, and after I said, “Good!”,
she was really impressed. I found out
why! First, I figured it was served in a
stone skillet, which was hot. No, it
was served in a skillet, with hot stones!
I figured that out as I put the first load of food on my plate and a
pebble hit the plate! Actually, the
first one I thought was a horrible mistake, but the second one, I put it together! If you are familiar with supposed “spicy”
Asian dishes, and the little red peppers they add, you might appreciate
this. You know how they usually add a
few peppers for seasoning? Well, this
wasn’t seasoning, it was a major ingredient!
I ate most of the dish, but not all!
Theresa was much more tame with her order, and simply got fried rice. The whole thing, with more food than we could
finish, and a beer and two bottles of water came to about 130 Yuan (or about
$20).
 |
Tiananmen Square and Mao's Mausoleum with lone soldier.
(and a fire extinguisher) |
After dinner, we had planned to walk to Tiananmen
Square.
As it was long after dark, the square was closed, but we still walked
there and took some night pictures. Most
of our dinner party came along, and Theresa found herself playing tour
guide! Once we got there, a few random
drops chased half of the group back, and we followed not long afterwards.
 |
| One of the city gates by the square |
 |
| City Gate with "Arrow" windows for archers |
We got tricked into going to a perfume "factory" in Cairo. I was picturing large vats and distillery machines and very neat assembly lines filling thousands of pretty glass bottles. What I got was salesmen trying to sell me 100 different perfumes (in ugly plastic generic bottles no less).
ReplyDeleteAlso, of course it's more expensive the higher you go, it's harder to get the products up there!
Yeah, if they said "sales tour", we'd all run the other way! But they say "factory tour", and the novice is excited and the well traveled is dubious! :-)
DeleteGreat stories and pics, as always! Thanks for sharing. You mentioned "elevator". Was it Otis or TK? :)
ReplyDeleteDidn't notice the elevator -- but the outside escalators at the Three Gorges Dam were TK!
Delete