Wednesday, April 9, 2025

Day 3 - Theresa Blog Brussels

Last night, we went out to a typical Brussels Brasserie.  We had 3 that we were considering that were really close to each other, and followed the "go with the crowd" mentality, and ate at the one with the most people.  The food was REALLY good, and the experience was REALLY French.  The host brought us to a table, tossed some menus, and said something very quickly gesturing at a black board with writing on it.  We were able to make out that the menus given were the drinks available, and the black board had the food available.  The waitress showed up literally right behind the host, and asked us what we wanted...Uh -- we had just figured out what the host said.  So, we said we needed more time (eye roll from the server), do you at least know what you want to drink...we managed that, getting another eye roll when a companion asked for tap water.  She left, and Google translate came to the rescue, so we were prepared to order when she got back.  Another eye roll when our colleague said he wanted what someone at another table was having (turned out to be beef stew (Carbonades a La Biere)).  Bill and I ended up ordering Steak with Pepper sauce and Sausages with Mashed Potatoes -- getting another eye roll when Bill asked for tap water, since our table mate got it.  The food was good, and reasonably priced.  And we enjoyed the visitation.

Typical Streets

After dinner, we went to the lounge for an extended happy hour, and just sat around talking.  Then, came back to the room and got pulled in to some UK shows...they have some of the best programs!  So, we got to bed quite later than we should have.

Today, got up for a 7:15am breakfast...during which I decided I was still tired.  Thankfully having the flexibility, I came back to the room, and slept until almost 11:30 again.  After which I had a couple of hours of paid work to do (a request came in last night while we were at cocktail time).  And, then I took off wandering.

There are a lot of pedestrian only streets near the hotel


My church quest led me to Notre Dame aux Riches-Claires, which was unfortunately closed. 

















Nearby was Notre-Dame de Bon Secours (Our Lady of Assistance).  It was a square church, built about 1664. Chairs were set up in the round.  I'm not sure if they actually use it for service, or just concerts, as the acoustics are superior due to it's shape.  There was an interesting sculpture.



An interesting painting.  It amazes me how many beautiful paintings are in just random churches


The ceiling, showing the "squareness"

I think I'd need to sit with this longer to gain an understanding of this statue...



After more wandering, I ended up at Manneken Pis.  This is the peeing boy bronze that is so famous. The original is in a museum, so this is a replica.  There is apparently a group that takes responsibility for dressing him up...but no idea why he was dressed in a construction outfit??

Tonight is another dinner out (this time with a larger group of 8) and tomorrow we have to change rooms.  The original plan had us leaving here on Thursday for Germany, and a factory tour there.  But, a different tour came available for Bill, and that tour leaves from (and returns to) Brussels.  So, we had to add 2 days to our reservation, and we unfortunately cannot keep our junior suite :-(

1 comment:

  1. I used the GoogleTranslate which has a photo feature. It gave us TERRIBLE translations on the menu board. Then when I changed it from Spanish-English to French-English...it made more sense. Hmm... noted! -Bill

    ReplyDelete