We had five more days at sea between Bora Bora and
Hawaii. We did a few trivia challenges,
including the Progressive, took a few naps, and even watched a movie. They did not have popcorn, so we got potato chips
from Room Service. There were a couple
of cooking demonstrations, including one on making the perfect steak, which I
found particularly ironic, since the first steak I had on board was totally
botched! We went to dinner with our
Progressive Trivia Team the night before the “finale”. We had joked previously that our goal was to
make 7th place. It is tough
to get first (and out of reach), but too easy to get last. So, the trick (as they said) is to get 7th. Ironically, before the final round, we were
in 7th place! But, we didn’t
find out our final ranking, so we’ll assume it stayed put.
One of the sea days we went to one of the special
restaurants. There was a snag with our
dining selection at the beginning of the cruise, and after quite a few back and
forths, it was finally resolved and remedied with a complimentary reservation
at the French restaurant (normally $45 each).
Theresa got the lobster tail (which the waitress did not recommend) and
I got the venison (which she did). The
lobster was AMAZING!! The venison was a
little tough.
I tried Vegemite for the 3rd time. The first time was 2007, and it was AWFUL!! The second time was in Adelaide, and it was…the
same. But we had spoken to lots of
Aussies since boarding and were told the right way to have it. First, take bread (or toast), then butter it
liberally. Then sparingly spread
vegemite on the butter. Then, sometimes
you might put a slice of cheese on that.
So, the one morning, I decided to give it a third try. At breakfast, we sat with 6 Australians, and
I told them my plan. All I wanted to
know was, “What kind of cheese?” The guy
next to me, a 6 ½ foot tall billiard headed Aussie policeman, chided me with “No! If you want to be a purist…” To which, I replied, “If I wanted to be a
PURIST, I wouldn’t be trying this for the THIRD time!!” Cheddar was suggested. I buttered the toast, and thinly spread the
vegemite. Then I put cheese on one half
and tried both sides. No cheese, was not
awful. With cheese, less awful. I could survive on it, but not enjoy it.
By the way, almost everyone I asked about what vegemite is,
said it is “a yeast extract” or “rich in Vitamin B”. I finally found one guy who told me the
truth. There is a brewery (I forgot the
name), and after the brew process, the dead yeast is scraped off the bottom of
the tank. They use that to make
Vegemite. Yeah, it’s beer sludge.
We also had crocodile
(twice), kangaroo, even kangaroo tartar.
And drinks. Lots of drinks! When we bought the cruise (over 14 months
ago), it included a free drink package, so we had wine, beer, soda, even mixed
drinks for free. And water! That’s big on a cruise ship! Actually, they had one liter bottles of water
which were very handy on port days, and also pretty nice when walking around
the ship. On the last day of the cruise,
they dropped off the “bill”. It was
really funny, because our total bill was 10 pages, including about 3 pages for
Theresa’s drinks, and 5 for mine, but all they were was the bar, the time/date,
and $0.00.
![]() |
| Honolulu at night |
Before we got to Hawaii, I started getting a sinus
infection. Theresa gets them all the
time, but I am not sure I’ve ever had one.
Anyway, by the time we got to Honolulu, I wasn’t enjoying a lot, didn’t
sleep well, and didn’t want to do much.
So, we took it easy, took a nap, and just walked around a little bit.
The flights home did not look great, and before our trip
started, we covered our options and bought tickets home. So, we flew some other carrier from Honolulu
to Portland, overnighted, and then on home.
The best part? We flew a
737-900ER on the last leg!! Now we have
flown 8 of the 9 737 types possible (100, 200, 300, and 500 through 900). So, I need to make a plan to get that last
type!
Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed our blog! We do not know where we are going next, but
we are always open to ideas! Thanks for
joining us!!
.jpg)

I sure did enjoy your trip. I love the idea of the blog and it really has been very special for both of us. By the way while you were gone I spent your inheritance on a new car. Love you both.
ReplyDelete